The Art in the Loop Foundation is pleased to announce the schedule of summer art installations and performances by local artists who were selected for “Art in the Loop Project: Make/Believe.” This year marks the sixth for the Art in the Loop Project and includes artwork based on photography, virtual and augmented reality, hip-hop, poetry, puppetry, electronic music, interactive sculptures and more.
The 2019 Art in the Loop Project: Make/Believe infuses the center of Downtown Kansas City with innovative and engaging temporary art that will refresh, intrigue and surprise Downtown employees, residents, and visitors. The project also creates opportunities for local emerging and established artists to extend their practice into the Downtown environment with curatorial, professional and logistical support. 2019 Art in the Loop Project: Make/Believe is a curated outdoor exhibition of temporary artworks and performances presented in three locations Downtown:
- Art on the Line – KC Streetcar, stops located along Main Street from the City Market to Union Station;
- Art in the Park – Washington Square Park, Pershing & Main Street; and,
- Art at the Library – Kansas City Public Library Central Library, 14 W. 10th St.
Art on the Line (KC Streetcar)
Art in the Loop is partnering with the KC Streetcar Authority to install the following temporary installations and performances at streetcar stops from May through September.
Artist and Art Installations:
- Christina Bereolos & Amanda Gehin, Macrosmos Caterpillar: Monarch Streetcar
- Evan Brown, The Doodle Stop (Union Station Stop)
- Rachelle Gardner-Roe, Herons & Hummingbirds Cross the Road (Kauffman Stop – North Bound)
- Jane Gotch, Public2 (Viewable at Union Station, Library, and River Market West)
- Amanda K. Guerra, Earth Bound (North Loop Stop)
- Angie Jennings, Streetcar Zen (River Market West Stop)
- Evan Maddox, New Atlantean Tourism Posters (Crossroads South Bound Stop)
- Jane Gotch, Public2 – Sat., Aug., 24, Time TBD (River Market West Stop)
- Sheri Purpose Hall, A Wonka-Riffic Trip – Sep. 7, Time TBD (Union Station Stop)
- Karen Lisondra, Abuela – Fri., June 28, 11:30-1:30 (Onboard KC Streetcar)
Art in the Park (Washington Square Park)
In partnership with the Municipal Art Commission and Parks & Recreation Department of the City of Kansas City, Missouri through a competitive selection process, three local artists (see list below) were selected to enliven Washington Square Park from May through September.
Artists and Art Installations:
- Ari Fish, Tact
- John Hachmeister, We Remember, We Forget
- Alonso L. Ortega, Endless
- Jade Osborne & Calvin Arsenia, INTER RELATION>SHIP – Wed., Jun. 19, Time TBD
- UN/TUCK Collective, Trans/Portal – Sat., Aug. 17, Time TBD
Art at the Library (Kansas City Public Library Central Library, 14 W 10th St.)
The 2019 Art in the Loop Kick-Off Event will be held at the Library and is co-presented by Downtown Council; the City of Kansas City, and the Kansas City Art Institute.
Wednesday, June 5, 6:00 p.m.
2019 Art in the Loop Kick-Off
at Kansas City Public Library, Central Library
14 West 10th Street
As the 2019 Art in the Loop Project: Make/Believe begins its nearly five-month run in and around Downtown Kansas City, meet its lineup of artists and performers and get a peek at their featured works.
The 15 participants in the annual outdoor exhibition are introduced by Art Director Bo Hubbard, co-founder of Alter Art Space and currently a resident at the Charlotte Street Foundation. A big-screen slideshow spotlights their artwork and performances. Tony Jones CBE, The Nerman Family President of the Kansas City Art Institute will also speak.
Art in the Loop organizers will announce participants in the Streetcar Sounds Summer Music Series. And dancers Tristian Griffin and James “SugEasy” Singleton close with a hip-hop and contemporary dance, When Two Worlds Meet.
The 2019 Art in the Loop Project: Make/Believe is made possible through the generous support of KC Streetcar; the City of Kansas City, Missouri; the Missouri Arts Council; ArtsKC: and our corporate sponsors including Auto Alert, Confluence, Copaken Brooks, EPR Properties, Henderson Engineers, JE Dunn Construction, McCownGordon Construction, PortKC, and Stinson Leonard Street. This project is also supported in part by the City of Kansas City, Missouri Neighborhood Tourist Development Fund.
We appreciate support and guidance provided by our partners: Downtown Council, Downtown Community Improvement Districts, KCMO-Public Works Department, KC Streetcar, the KC Parks, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City Art Institute, Union Station and The Bridge 90.9.
For more information about the project, the artists and performance schedule visit www.artintheloop.com, www.facebook.com/artintheloop, or twitter.com/ArtintheLoop.
# # #
Art in the Loop
Ann Holliday, Program Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, (o) 816-979-1072 (c) 816-718-1355
Bo Hubbard, Art Director, email@example.com
Donna Mandelbaum, Communications Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Kansas City, Missouri
Eric Bosch, KCMO, City Architect, email@example.com
Heidi Markle, KCMO Parks Department, firstname.lastname@example.org
Consuelo Cruz, Arts Marketing Coordinator, email@example.com
Kansas City Public Library
Anne Ducey, Exhibit Director, firstname.lastname@example.org