The Art in the Loop Foundation (AILF) is seeking an Art Director for our 2021 Art in the Loop Project and 2021 ARTwall. The Art Director will have the opportunity to support our efforts to provide unique temporary public art opportunities to emerging and established artists. Local artists, curators, arts organizers and individuals with art director experience are encouraged to apply. AILF values an equitable, diverse, and inclusive art community.
The 2021 Art Director coordinates the application, installation, and exhibition process for the AILF summer art series and the ARTwall. The art director works with Vice-President for the Downtown Council and AILF director, Ann Holliday, and in collaboration with AILF partner organizations, including KC Streetcar. Visit artintheloop.com to view past projects and ARTwalls.
This position is a year-long contract of $4,000 paid in three installments over 2021. While the position is not hourly, it is estimated between 150-200 hours over the course of the year. A majority of the time commitment is focused from March to July, from releasing the call for artists to the installation of artwork.
- Assist with promoting the calls for artists to diverse communities and participate in one or more public outreach sessions
- Assist with finalizing calls for artists and artist applications
- Promote and represent AILF and the project at community arts events
- Create selection criteria (based on KCMO Municipal Art Commission guidelines)
- Review and rank applications
- Assist with establishing the Artist Selection Panel and the artist selection process
- Coordinate a public opening for the project
- Develop curatorial oversight to the overall project
- Provide any information about the project for news/press that may arise during the project timeline
- Generate writing for the project, in the form of curatorial statements, essays, blog posts for AILF or other arts organizations as needed
- Assist with program assessment
- Coordinate artist information for the closing reception
- Assist documentation and social media strategies
- Provide assistance to artists
- Formalizing project content
- Following up on artist commitments to material and time
Art in the Loop Annual Timeline
- March- Release the Calls for Artists
- April – Art Selection Panel meeting, Call for Musicians/Performers released
- April/May – Sign Contracts with the Artists; Music/Performance Selection Panel meeting, selection and contract signing
- May/June – Artwork installed and Kick-Off event
- June/July/August – Performance Series (Tentative)
- November – Artwork removed
- November – Closing Reception
If you are interested in apply, please submit the following in a single PDF attachment to email@example.com on, or before Monday, March 8, 2021.
- Statement of Interest
- 1 – 2 Writing Sample(s): could be the form of a prior press release, article, or essay.
The Art in the Loop Foundation (AILF) aims to fill this position by March 15, 2021, to begin work on the 2021 Calls for Artists.