The 2018 Art in the Loop Project: KC Plays!, a curated outdoor exhibition staged in partnership with the City of Kansas City, Missouri, and KC Streetcar, features 15 temporary artworks and performances along the city’s streetcar route, in West Terrace/Case Park, and at the Kansas City Public Library.
Join us Tuesday, May 1, 6:30 to 8:30 for the kick-off presentation and reception at the Kansas City Public Library Central Library, 14 West 10th Street. Click here to RSVP.
As the series prepares to open, a number of the participating artists take turns discussing their works. They are introduced by art-directors Jahaira Aguilar and Andrew Lattner, local artists and co-founders of the collaborative group NDo. Both artists are current Artists-in-Residence at the Charlotte Street Foundation. Art in the Loop, running from May 1 to September 30, is designed to make cultural experiences available to downtown residents, visitors, and workers.
The 2018 Art in the Loop Project: KC Plays infuses the center of Downtown Kansas City with innovative and engaging temporary art that will refresh, intrigue and surprise Downtown employees, residents, and visitors. The project also creates opportunities for local emerging and established artists to extend their practice into the Downtown environment with curatorial, professional and logistical support. The 2018 locations for the series includes:
- Art in the Park – West Terrace & Case Park, 10th & Jefferson;
- Art on the Line – KC Streetcar, stops located along Main Street from the City Market to Union Station;
- Art at the Library – Kansas City Public Library Central Library,14 W. 10th St.
- Art in the Loop Studio Residency – Location TBD
- Art in the Loop Exhibition at The Box Gallery – Commerce Bank Building, 1000 Walnut Street
2018 ART IN THE LOOP ARTISTS
Art in the Park (West Terrace/Case Park):
- Denise DiPiazzo, SlinkyBall
- Stacey Sharpe, Air Play
- Annelise Kinney, Michael Elwood & Daniel Rawlings, Busy Bead Maze
Art on the Line (KC Streetcar):
- Alter Art Space, Alter: Pop-Up pARTy (August 24, 6:00 p.m., Union Station Stop)
- Daniel Chase, Running Idle, (Video animation on KCity Post Kiosks)
- Monica Dixon, Celestial Heap, (Vinyl artwork onboard KC Streetcar vehicle)
- Emily Sloan, Streetcar Shelter Sweater, (Fabric artwork, River Market West Stop)
- Megan Karson, Stranger on a Train, (Soft sculpture onboard KC Streetcar vehicle)
- Amy Kligman, Party Car, (Vinyl artwork on KC Streetcar vehicle exterior)
- Kriss Miller & Alicen Lundberg, KC Word Plays! (Interactive sculpture, Library Southbound Stop)
- Stephen Proski, Night People (Vinyl artwork, Crossroads Southbound Stop)
- Stone Lion Puppets, KC Puppets at Play!,(July 11 and August 8, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Union Station and City Market Stops proposed locations.)
Art Starts at the Library (Kansas City Public Library Central Library, 14 W 10th St.):
- David Alpert, Passing Notes, (June 1, August 3 and other dates TBD)
- Sunyoung Cheong, Wearable Play, (August 3)
Art in the Loop Studio Residency: Soft Lab
Selected artists Olivia Clanton and Natalie Spicker will create experimental artwork as well as invite the public to interact with them during weaving and quilting workshops. This residency is the first of its kind for Art in the Loop and will provide opportunities for artists to interact with the public and collaborate in a new way. The studio location will be finalized soon. Schedules for workshops will be posted at www.artintheloop.com
The Box Gallery
New this year, The Box Gallery will host an Art in the Loop Exhibition from June through July, with an opening reception on Friday, June 1, 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The exhibition will include images and ephemera for this year’s Art in the Loop Project: KC Plays, as well as, maps, brochures and videos. It will also be the site of music performances, receptions and other events. The Box Gallery is located on the first floor of the Commerce Bank Building, 1000 Walnut Street, Kansas City, MO 64106.
The 2018 Art in the Loop Project: KC Plays is made possible through the generous support of KC Streetcar; the City of Kansas City, Missouri; the Missouri Arts Council; Arts KC and our corporate sponsors including Stinson Leonard Street, Copaken Brooks, Lofts@Delaware Landing, 3D Development, Burns & McDonnell, JE Dunn Construction, McCownGordon Construction and PortKC. We appreciate support and guidance provided by our partners: Downtown Council, Downtown Community Improvement Districts, KCMO-Public Works Department, KC Streetcar, the KC Parks, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City Art Institute, The Box Gallery, Union Station and The Bridge 90.9.
Art in the Loop will also bring a diverse array of musicians to Downtown Kansas City through a lunchtime concert series on Wednesdays, from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., from May 30 through September 5, at the same locations where artwork is installed. Musicians will be announced later this month.